Industrial Automation With PLC and SCADA
Today's world is focused on automation. Without automation any industry can merely run smoothly and give out desired output and production rate.Industrial automation is a great choice to go in for a bright future specially for electrical, electronics and communication, electronics and instrumentation and mechanical branches.
If want to know basics about PLC and SCADA quickly, then you are at right place. So without wasting any time let's begin.
PLC: Programmable Logic Controller
Normal branded PLC costs 20000-25000/-
Advanced version of PLC is called DMC.
- Oil and Gas industry
- Power sector
- Wind energy plants
- Paper industry
- Cement Industry
- Steel plants
- Plastic Industry
- Bottle filling plant
- Wafers packing plant
- and many more
Automation is basically a delegation of human control function to control technical equipment
It is the use of control system to increase productivity.
Need of Automation:
- Time saving
- Increase Productivity
- HMI: Human machine interface
- DCS: Distributed control System
There are two types of momentry tools used in industrial automation:-
- NO switch: Normally open and green in color
- NC switch: Normally Closed and red in color
Relay is an electrical single phase switching device.
The power applied to its coil generates a magnetic field that operates the switch. The operating voltage of its coil may be different from the load voltage.
- Single phase
- DC motor
- Light load
It is same as RELAY but
- Heavy load
- 3 phase
- single throw
- operates in NO configuration
- Bulky Panels
- Complex wiring
- Longer Project times
- Difficult maintenance and trouble shooting
- MCB: Miniature Circuit Breaker.
- MCCB: Molded Case Circuit Breaker.Used for 3 phase suply.
2. 4 pole
- ELCB: Earth Leakage Circuit breaker
% pole for earth and neutral.
- OLR: Thermal Overload Relay
- MPCP: Motor protector Circuit protector
Act as dual starter.
- VFD: Variable frequency drive.
1.Control speed and torque
2.varies frequencies and amplifies the AC waveform being delivered to the motor
3. save money in electricity
4.Soft start and stop
Programmable Logic Controller
operates at 24 V DC supply
Contains EEPROM(Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory)
major PLCs used
- Allen Bradly(US)
- Fixed PLC
- Modular PLC
Software used for programming:
- RSLinx Classic (communication software between CPU and PLC)
- RS Emulate 500
- RS Losix micro (ladder program is made here)
Supervisory Control and Data acquisition system
- Dynamic Representation
- Device Connectivity
- and many more